Update #2 (4/24/18): T-Mobile has frozen the release of Android Oreo, although no reason has been specified. GSMArena spotted the announcement on the network’s website. The notice merely reads that as of April 3 the update is “is temporarily unavailable.”
Update (4/3/18): According to multiple user reports on Reddit, Android Oreo is rolling out to unlocked Galaxy Note 8 units in the U.S.. The update weighs in at just over 1,122MB and brings the Samsung Experience v9.0 and March 2018 Android security patch.
Original article: Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Android update tracker page. This page covers all major U.S. carriers with a quick reference table for each and a log with links to further details. It will be regularly updated with the latest Galaxy Note 8 update information, but note that we won’t be covering general security patches in our list.
We recommend you bookmark this page so you can stay up to date with the very latest updates.
Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Android update
The Galaxy Note 8 was released in September, 2017 running Android 7.1.1 Nougat and was expected to be one of the first Samsung phones to receive Android Oreo. However, it wasn’t exactly the fastest flagship to get the new software, as this didn’t start to roll out in western territories until mid-March.
Thankfully, it hasn’t taken long for major U.S. carriers to deliver the update following its appearance in France and Canada. Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile have all delivered Oreo to the Note 8 now, and U.S. unlocked models have received the update, too.
Galaxy Note 8 update US
|Samsung Galaxy Note 8 updates – US||Android 7.1.1||Android 8.0|
Verizon Galaxy Note 8 (SM-N950UZ*AVZW) update:
- March 30, 2018, Galaxy Note 8s on Verizon start receiving Oreo.
- January 29, 2018, Verizon is rolling out the January security patch which addresses Meltdown and Spectre exploits. The update also brings minor bug fixes as well as the “Bokeh” effect in the camera app.
- November 29, 2017, Verizon delivers some camera UI changes, a fix for the KRACK exploit, and the October security updates
- September 15, 2017, Verizon is rolling out a day-one patch to the Note 8 to improve GPS signal strength and Swype word prediction accuracy.
AT&T Galaxy Note 8 (SM-N950UZ*AATT) update:
- March 27, 2018, Reddit users reported receiving OTA updates to Android 8.0 Oreo. The software build number is N950USQU3CRC2.
- November 14, 2017, AT&T is rolling out an update that includes network performance enhancements, stability improvements, and patches for the KRACK and BlueBorne vulnerabilities.
T-Mobile Galaxy Note 8 update (SM-N950UZ*ATMB):
- April 3, 2018, T-Mobile stops the Oreo rollout on April 3, but the news is only spotted on April 24.
- April 2, 2018, T-Mobile joins its major carrier peers in releasing the Oreo update for the Galaxy Note 8.
- December 22, 2017, T-Mobile rolls out update build N950USQU2BQLA with December security patches, video conferencing improvements, and an update for the carrier’s DIGITS service.
- November 20, 2017, T-Mobile addresses the IMS roaming bug fix while delivering the October and November Google security patches, complete with KRACK fix.
- September 15, 2017, T-Mobile rolls out a day-one patch with stability improvements and bug fixes.
Sprint Galaxy Note 8 update (SM-N950UZ*ASPR):
- March 30, 2018, Sprint is also rolling out to the Galaxy Note 8.
- November 16, 2017, Sprint updates the Gallery, Reminder, Calendar and Voice Recorder apps, and fixes various bugs (including a Samsung DeX error). Wi-Fi calling has also been improved and renamed “Calling Plus.”
- September 15, 2017, Sprint improves GPS accuracy for Google maps and rolls out some stability improvements.
International Samsung Galaxy Note 8 update (SM-N950F):
- April 3, 2018, According to multiple user reports on Reddit, Android Oreo is rolling out to unlocked Galaxy Note 8 units in the U.S..
- April 2, 2018, According to Canadian carrier Rogers, Android 8.0 Oreo will roll out to the Galaxy Note 8 on April 5, 2018.
- March 16, 2018, Android 8.0 Oreo update rolls out in France (build number N950FXXU3CRC1).
- March 12, 2018, Samsung Canada announced that Canadian variants of the Galaxy Note 8 will begin receiving their Android Oreo updates on March 28.
- January 5, 2018, A Reddit user claiming to be employed by Samsung has uploaded a set of photos of Android Oreo on the Galaxy Note 8. The Redditor says that the update was dispatched by Samsung as part of a soak test — a small scale rollout to check for any potential issues. Check out this list of changes.
- December 12, 2017, Samsung is rolling out a Note 8 update in Europe which improves the Calendar, Gallery, Reminder, and Voice Recorder apps, addresses a Samsung DeX error, and adds the Secure Wi-Fi VPN service.
- November 30, 2017: Samsung is rolling out firmware version N950FXXU1BQK6 that includes the November security patches (fixing the KRACK Wi-Fi and BlueBorne exploits), security improvements to Wi-Fi function, and enhancements to Calendar, Reminder, Gallery, and Voice Recorder apps.
- September 13, 2017: Samsung is rolling out firmware version N950FXXU1AQI1 with improvements to the camera software and wireless charging.
If you’ve received an update we’ve missed, hit the comments below or tip us!